Grep Compiling and Installing

John Golovich jgolovich at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 10:43:35 PDT 2000

> Does deja archive these mailing lists? that's
> usually the best play to
> search for errors...
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/services/search.php

As my original email indicated, I did search deja for
answers.  I found two possibilites and neither worked.
Thank you for pointing me to the search function of
the linuxfromscratch site.

> Interesting, what distro are you using? i would try
> compiling grep w/o
> the CPPFLAGS modified.

I am using the latest version of Slackware.
It seems to only have problems with regex.  My sed
install has the same sort of problem.

I modified my configure to just:
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls

and still:
/usr/lib/libc.a(regex.o): In function
`init_syntax_once':
/tmp/glibc-2.1.3/posix/regex.c:257: multiple
definition of `re_max_failures'
regex.o:/home/cvs/build/cvs/Linux/subsystems/grep/src/regex.c:256:
first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status