--prefix question?

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Wed Sep 27 02:25:59 PDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 07:01:26AM +0000, Kyle West wrote:
> I noticed that the --prefix=/usr used on just about every configure in LFS
> makes the compiling process put things in /usr/* as oppossed to /usr/local/*
>
> Gerard, why did you choose to do this?  Is there a functionality issue
> putting things in /usr as opposed to /usr/local directory, is it merely a
> personal preference, is it a standard somewhere...?

Hey - I think I can answer this somewhat!

These are the basic packages that make up the core system. If we didn't put
them in the normal /usr part, /usr would be empty except for /usr/local...

Often, /usr/local is a seperate partition that isn't mounted when there
are problems. All the LFS stuff is still needed then.

Personally I put obvious applications in /usr/local, and my idea of a
"core system" (which includes X and a window manager and most libraries)
in /usr.

Btw, hi all, after using Linux for one and a half year or so I upgraded
my computer and decided to put LFS on it, it's working fine, a lot of fun :)