LFS Mailing List Question

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 28 11:16:33 PDT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Looking at http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/ there seems
> to be 11 different mailing lists associated with LFS.  Is there some sort
> of a global list that I can subscribe to so I can receive each list's mail
> without having to manage each list? Thanks.

As Jesse stated there is no global mailinglist. Let me be more accurate:
there is no publically availalbe mailinglist. There is a list called
all-lists at linuxfromscratch.org but it's a closed & moderated list. Only I am
able to post to it. And I only use it to send messages to all the LFS
mailinglists (when I have some important thing to mention, like the domain is
going to change IP or DNS so the lists will be down for a little while, or
something to that extend).

It shouldn't be hard to change the list into a list like lfs-announce. That's
a list you can't send messages to, you can only receive from it. The problem
lies in this:
nobody is allowed to send to that all-lists (or whatever it's going to be
called) so you need to reply to messages to the proper list like lfs-discuss.
Then all messages posted to lfs-discuss must be copied to the all-lists
mailinglist. But since all-lists is moderated (nobody can post to it) I would
have to approve each and every message. I can't tell the mailinglist server
to trust lfs-discuss mail. Technically I can, but I won't. It won't be hard
for somebody to forge the From: header and the mailinglist server will then
accept that message. It'll be open for abuse which nobody here would
appreciate.

But no I haven't thought this one through yet. I've put it on my todo list.
I'll see tomorrow what I can do about it. There are a few more options I can
try out.

www.linuxfromscratch.org