Windows (yes, I know it's a Linux list).

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Wed Jan 3 04:57:53 PST 2001

> I've got my wonderful Linux box, runs great, love it to bits. Unfortunately, the
> real world dictates that I now have to install Windows 98 on it in a dual-boot
> manner (my poor machine).
>
> Here's the catch: WINDOWS 98 WON'T INSTALL AGAIN! I can't figure it out. I've
> got a fat-32 filesystem on a primary partition on the primary disk, and the
> install hangs up every time...Any ideas why?

Hangs in what manner?
And what exactly has changed since your last installation (you say "won't
install AGAIN"). Adding a Linux partition should not affect the
installation of Windows 98. I installed Windows 98 on a system that
already had 2 Linux partitions without any problems.
Have you added/removed/replaced hardware?

Did you create and format the Windows 98 partition from a
Windows 98/MSDOS 7 boot disk or from Linux?
I had trouble with an FAT partition created under Linux. I removed it
completely and used the fdisk and format from a Windows 98 boot disk
(rescue disk) and everything worked fine.

I now use GRUB to boot between MSDOS 7 (the DOS from Win98 modified to
work independently), Windows 98 (both installed on the same FAT 32
partition) and LFS.

MSB

----
In allen Kulturen haben Muetter ihre Babys mit Vorgekautem
von Mund zu Mund gefuettert.
Bis vor kurzem sogar noch in Schleswig-Holstein.

Irenaeus Eibl-Eibesfeldt im SZ Magazin, No.28

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org