Boot messages problem

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Wed Jan 3 15:12:13 PST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Ron wrote:

> I'm not sure if it ALWAYS works... but that statement says to redirects 2 to
> 1 and then redirects that to /dev/null... 2 is stderr i think and 1 is stdout
> i think. Dunno... somewhere in the BASH manpage.

yes, but that only goes for "normal" messages, not for printks. printks
are only sent to the system console (that's why you will never see them in
X for example, since they are not sent to xterm). I don't believe that you
can redirect them. That's why they always appear and disturb your emacs
window, for example :)

florin.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org