Kernel 2.4.0 out (sigh... finally)

Tijmen Stam tijmen at stamadvies.nl
Thu Jan 4 12:24:57 PST 2001

I saw kernel 2.4.0.prerelease is out now!

I haven't installed it yet, but I read some of the documentation and
there are some changes to be aware off:

They have a completely redesigned the idea behind the /dev files... See
(in the kernel sources) filesistems/devfs/README. You'll need a
devfsd(eamon) for it, but the address stated in the file doesn't
respond, but i found it in
www.nl.kernel.org/pub/linux/deamons/devfsd....

They say GCC 2.91.66 / egcs 1.1.2 is THE compiler to use, and that 2.95
gives some bugs... :-(

It needs at least modutils 2.3.21 (lfs uses .17), and some other stuff,
read the Changes file

VFS and LVM are in it, things I heard to be cool and Bleedin' edge, but
I couldn't find out what they were exactly... Well, then it's too
bleeding for me :-)

I can write the nessecary modifications to LFS, but not in the coming 1
1/2 weeks, because i'm busy with school now... If anyone else starts
with writing, please mail it (to me personal too, if possible), so I
don't do it all over..... Thanks

        Tijmen

--
>From Tijmen Stam - "I believe in Linux" - tijmen at stamadvies.nl
POVray page http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/somepage/ Updated Dec 10,2000
count linux @ counter.li.org reg#178552, Machine#78930 & #78931

Everyone calling himself a linux master should have completely read the Bash
man page and all kernel documentation, as a test to prove himself and to free
some bandwith on comp.os.linux.* ( Honestly, I haven't done this all yet )-: