Partitioning schemes

J. E. Garrott, Sr johnga at primenet.com
Thu Jan 4 16:34:42 PST 2001

Rik Burt wrote:

> I have been trying to find information in the archive about partitioning
> schemes.  It seems to me that it the latest version of the book that the
> whole system is built onto one partition of the hard drive.  Is this a
> better way to go than many partitions?  The book lists Running Linux by Matt
> Welsh as a source and after perusing this book I read that Mr. Welsh has his
> whole system on one partition but they suggest having more than one
> partition.
>
> In the past I have used the following partition scheme: /, swap, /usr,
> /root, /home, /var.  I know that partitioning is more personal preference
> than an exact science but should I choose to how would I set up LFS using
> multiple partitioning?  I have read and read man pages and other sources but
> I must be missing something really basic because this shouldn't be as hard
> as I am finding it.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rik
>
> --

Rik,

It isn't hard in the doing, it's hard in the
deciding.  Simply put, there are no hard and
fast rules.  Go with what you are comfortable
with.

The is nothing wrong with one partition, if
it works.  (There can be some problems with
large disks and earlier versions of lilo.)

There can be some decided advantages for multiple
partitions.  One is backups.  One partition can
mean large backups.  With multiple partitions,
one need only backup those partitions that change.
(I know.  Why should it matter on incrementals? :)

Another is sharing of programs.  While I don't
recommend sharing /usr amongst several different
installations, /usr/local is a different matter.

Whatever you do, remember,

Have fun!

John

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org