Windows (yes, I know it's a Linux list).

McPherson, Joseph Jr. jmcpherson at itsmarta.com
Fri Jan 5 04:41:04 PST 2001

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	jb at shadowfax.linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:jb at shadowfax.linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey B. Ferland
		Sent:	Wednesday, January 03, 2001 7:55 PM
		To:	lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
		Subject:	Re: Windows (yes, I know it's a Linux list).

		Matthias Benkmann wrote:

				> > I've got my wonderful Linux box, runs
great, love it to bits. Unfortunately, the
				> > real world dictates that I now have to
install Windows 98 on it in a dual-boot
				> > manner (my poor machine).
				> >
				> > Here's the catch: WINDOWS 98 WON'T
INSTALL AGAIN! I can't figure it out. I've
				> > got a fat-32 filesystem on a primary
partition on the primary disk, and the
				> > install hangs up every time...Any ideas
why?

			> Hangs in what manner?
			> And what exactly has changed since your last
installation (you say "won't
			> install AGAIN"). Adding a Linux partition should
not affect the
			> installation of Windows 98. I installed Windows 98
on a system that
			> already had 2 Linux partitions without any
problems.
			> Have you added/removed/replaced hardware?
			>
			> Did you create and format the Windows 98 partition
from a
			> Windows 98/MSDOS 7 boot disk or from Linux?
			> I had trouble with an FAT partition created under
Linux. I removed it
			> completely and used the fdisk and format from a
Windows 98 boot disk
			> (rescue disk) and everything worked fine.
			>
			> I now use GRUB to boot between MSDOS 7 (the DOS
from Win98 modified to
			> work independently), Windows 98 (both installed on
the same FAT 32
			> partition) and LFS.

*	MSB

		I must say, this list has a little more to it than the
SATLUG list...What changed is that I got the computer from the factory with
win98 pre-installed, and then I put Linux on. Then Windows crashed and there
is your story. I'm afraid I'm going to have to burn my Linux partition to a
CD-R and just frag my entire disk.
		To answer the top section, from Linux - 'cause dos wanted to
frag Linux...
*	Jeff
		SIG: HUP

*	Jeff what you have is this.  The company that manufactured the
computer installed the windows 98 operating system to a computer, copied the
installed files to a CD.  This CD using the installation program that is on
the disk then copies the files on the CD to new hard drive formatting the
active primary partition of the hard drive if needed.  If the hard drive has
a formatted active primary partition on the hard drive the program attempts
to copy the files to the hard drive.  If the file system is unknown to the
installer, which is a windows program the computer freezes.  By the way
Linux's ext2 file system is unknown to windows and it can not read or write
to it.

*	Having said all that and it was a mouth full.  It appears that you
are on the right track.  Windows must be installed on a primary partition on
the computer's first hard drive.  That is hda in Linux and C: in windows in
all its flavors and OS/2.  However, something you did not mention is whether
you set the primary partition active or not.  This is unimportant in Linux
but it is of the essence in windows.   This has to be done before the files
will be copied to the hard drive's FAT32 partition.  To reiterate the hard
drive FAT32 partition must be the active primary partition on hda.  There
are no exceptions to this.  This is how windows is written.

*	Given all this and you have done all the above it may still not
work.  A multi-operating system set up is difficult but it can be done.  I
have one with OS/2 on the first primary partition, windows 98 on the second
primary partition, mandrake Linux on the third primary partition and LFS
Linux on the fourth primary partition. So it can be done.

*	Some point to remember:

*	I believe there can only be four primary partitions on hda.  Don't
quote me on that though.
*	Install the older operating system first.  OS/2 is the oldest
installed on my system however and is very uncomfortable on my 13 GB hard
drive.
*	Certain operating systems may be installed on extended partitions.
But this may mean different things to different operating systems.  OS/2 for
instance can be install on an extended partition be that means hdb not an
extended logical partition on hda.  OS/2 will allow you to select it but
will not allow you to identify it installable.
*	Windows NT is a nightmare on a multiple OS system.
*	Get a boot manager.  I recommend either System Commander or
Partition Magic.  Lilo is no help setting up multiple operating system.  It
was written for use when Linux is shoe horned in.
*	Get lilo out of the MBR.
*	On intel systems primary sectors are on hda only all other hard
drives have extended sectors.

		I hope this has helped.  However, I must admit that this is
more superstition than knowledge.

		Joe

		Unsubscribe: send email to
lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org