Partitioning schemes

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 5 06:29:05 PST 2001

On January  5, 2001 02:14 am, Rik Burt wrote:
> I have been trying to find information in the archive about partitioning
> schemes.  It seems to me that it the latest version of the book that the
> whole system is built onto one partition of the hard drive.  Is this a
> better way to go than many partitions?  The book lists Running Linux by
> Matt Welsh as a source and after perusing this book I read that Mr. Welsh
> has his whole system on one partition but they suggest having more than one
> partition.
>
> In the past I have used the following partition scheme: /, swap, /usr,
> /root, /home, /var.  I know that partitioning is more personal preference
> than an exact science but should I choose to how would I set up LFS using
> multiple partitioning?  I have read and read man pages and other sources
> but I must be missing something really basic because this shouldn't be as
> hard as I am finding it.

It's mostly personal yes. The sizes of the partitions depend on your needs.
While I have a 1GB /home partition, you may require more or less space on
/home. I have  4gb /usr partition, you may require more or less, etc, etc
,etc.

How to implement it; create the partitions and when you write the /etc/fstab
file in chroot, make sure to add the other partitions as well. Here's how I
do it:

I create the partitions for my LFS system. I mount them like this:

mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/lfs
mkdir /mnt/lfs/usr
mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/lfs/usr

do not mkdir /mnt/lfs/usr before you run the first mount. Else /mnt/lfs/usr
will be created on your redhat/whatever disk and not on the new LFS partition.

When everything is mounted, start reading the book. When you get to creating
directories you will get errors related to that /mnt/lfs/usr already exists,
but just ignore that.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org