Intel - Itanium Chips

Ainsley Pereira marble at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 6 06:52:17 PST 2001

In message <001101c077ef$7f220940$6564a8c0 at mceddy>
          "Richard Bennett" <rocket.fish at btinternet.com> wrote:

> another thing though... how does this "multi pass" thing work?
> i occasionally dabble in writing ridiculously stupid math-problem programs
> in C and always wondered how I could get get say... a 64 bit integer or
> 128bit float ... or higher (there was one encryption program which i got in
> the works which used 512 bit... but i couldnt work out how)
>
> i guess what i'm trying to find out is *how* can one go about using larger
> numbers than the processor can handle in one pass under C... newbie needing
> help alert!!! :P

Check out GMP, a library for big numbers. If you want to understand how to do
it yourself, the best way is to get a pen and paper and work out how you'd do 8
bit maths with 4 bit registers. This is probably the wrong place to go into
much more detail on that though.

   / Ainsley Pereira      / Marble on Snowplains.org:3456 /

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org