LAN Gateway/Firewall

Chris Snyder csnyder at mvpsoft.com
Sat Jan 6 09:52:26 PST 2001

ken_i_m wrote:

> First, thanks for the mirror Seth.
>
> I need to build a router/firewall. I have been doing a Mickey Mouse
> band-aid sort of thing with a half-ass proxy server and a firewall
> application on a Win98 box. It is a pain in the ass to use and still
> there are some services I am unable to get working properly. I want to
> chuck it and build a gateway/firewall on an old HP 486-SX25 that was
> given to me this past summer. I had some SIMMs laying around on the
> workbench so I put them in bumping the RAM up to 32 MB. The hard drive
> is only 170 MB. I put ZipSlack on a Zip disk and have booted that and
> got networking running that way. I was able to configure ppp and even
> did a little browsing with Lynx. I tried to get diald set up but
> failed. I did all this before getting involved in LFS and have not
> touched it since then. The point is the hardware works.
>
> I am sure that some of you have built a similar box for your LAN (no
> offense meant to those who do not have one). There are a number of
> packages that obviously do not need to be included in such a system.
> Then there are some that are not part of the basic LFS system that are
> highly desired such as OpenSSH.
>
> Now, if this topic isn't too far afield for this mailing list, I would
> love to hear other's experience in setting something like this up.
>

> I think, therefore, ken_i_m

I'm currently building a LFS box to be a firewall for the network.
Since we're running a few servers behind the firewall and need close to
100% reliability, I'm also building a second identical firewall that
will check to see if the main firewall is up, and take over the IP
address if it goes down.  That way I can keep one firewall up to date
with the latest packages, and only upgrade the second firewall after the
first one has been stable for a few weeks.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org