First question after nearly a year of taking all this in

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 07:55:37 PST 2001

Misquoted from L Vogtmann on 2001/01/ 6 at 15:25 +0000:

> On Saturday 06 January 2001 15:09, Darryl wrote:
> > What can not be made a module when compiling up a Kernel as i want to
> > modulize everything that is concievably possiblly but i know not everything
> > can be made a module and im not sure of what is the minimum that cant be
> > made a module as it is needed at boot time
> >

> > Thanx Darryl
>
> Hmmm, long list, depending on what hardware you have.  (I'm sure others on
> this list will add to it.)
>
> Networking should be mono (built in)
> Hard drive interfaces (ide, scsi)
> FS's mono (ext2, reiser, fat if your root is on reiser)
> Virtual terminals
> Chipset bugfixes
>
> Those should keep you safe, everything else is pretty much fair game for
> modules.  (I should mention, I don't use modules at all, If I need it, it's
> in the kernel.)

You can trim that a bit, but you must have the right bits in /etc/modules.conf
Where is your root partition?
If it is scsi, you must not have scsi as a module
If it is ide, you most not have ide as a module
If it is on the network, you tell me how its done!

The file system for your root partition must not be a module.
I have not noticed bug fixes available as modules, but then
I have hardly looked.

So far everything else has worked as a module.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org