KDE2

jerry jdinardo at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 8 08:50:55 PST 2001

I have found that using hdparm to tune ide disks does far more to increase
application performance than anything else I have ever done.

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda increased performance of some io bound progs by up to
500 % on my  system  . Benchmark included with hdparm yields performance
increase from 3.5 MB/sec to 25.5 MB/sec;

 I do not think performance increase will be that great with older ide drives.

Windows will use vendors drivers which will automatically give this kind of
performance ( at least on equipment I have used). I have only been able to
get performance equiv to NT by using hdparm.

jpd

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org