cross compile gcc

Rudolf Floers r.floers at web.de
Mon Jan 8 10:40:24 PST 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 06:49:38AM -0700, ken_i_m wrote:

> I went to the Gnu homepage for Glibc and found libstdc++-2.91.tar.gz. Which
> sort of resembles what you refer to above. Do I compile this instead of glibc?

(1)
no, you _must_ install glibc on your 486. i suggest to install it completely.

(2)
software of the basic system does not need libstdc++. some other software
may need libstdc++ however. libstdc++ comes with gcc. the
libstdc++-2.91.tar.gz you found is probably libstdc++ without gcc. ;)

even if you'll perhaps never need libstdc++ on your 486, i recommend to
compile gcc with a simple make (no bootstrappn needed) and then just
copy the libstdc++-blaa library to your 486 and delete the rest of gcc.

but hey, it's your system - do it the way you want.

(3)
if you decide to compile gcc (or any other package) for the 486 on your
686 _and link it statically_, make sure the static libraries you link
against are not optimized for i686 (i.e. not compiled with -march=i686).

hope i didn't confused you,
rudolf

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org