About LFS.

Brad Haladay haladay at ixc.net
Mon Jan 8 10:56:44 PST 2001

In LFS 6.6.3 Command Explanations it says the following:

sed "s/# 9/9/" MAKEDEV >/dev/MAKEDEV: By default the Makedev script only
creates the hda1-hda8 and hdb1-hdb8 devices. By replacing "# 9" by "9"'s in
the MAKEDEV script, it will create hda1-hda20, hdb1-hdb20 and possible
others (like hdc and hdd)

I have a scsi system & I currently have up to sda16 & sdb16 but when I try
to mount sda16 & sdb16 I get mount errors, so I had seen in some resource
some where to check the devices.txt in the kernel source.  When I did I
found that for hd & sd it only supports 0-15 partitions.  So if you had up
to 20 as it states 16-20 would not work as my 2 16's don't & my 17 doesn't
either.

Is there anyway to get around that kernel limitation to get partitions 16 &
above mounted on a scsi system ?

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org