ls colors

Mike Hildebrandt mikehild at insight.org
Mon Jan 8 14:24:43 PST 2001

> >AFAIK that is the only way to do it.  If you check the
> aliases on your
> >original Linux distro you'll see a similar alias for ls
> there as well.
> > alias ls='ls --color=always'
>
> Well, I've gained access to a slackware 7.0 machine, and when
> I check the
> /etc/profile there, I don't see any aliases.
>
> But there IS something else;
>
> # Set up the LS_COLORS and LS_OPTIONS environment variables
> for color ls:
> if [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/zsh" ]; then
>  eval `dircolors -z`
> elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ash" ]; then
>  eval `dircolors -s`
> else
>  eval `dircolors -b`
> fi
>

> But when I try to use this with LFS; no success...

Most distributions do all sorts of strange and fancy stuff that require a
PhD in Computer Science to decipher... That's why I like LFS - everything is
simplified.

Anyway, I believe all the chunk of /etc/profile you listed does is set up
what the colors will be (i.e. filetype gz=red, directories=blue, etc), not
tell ls to print in color.  The actual alias command is probably in another
config file (somewhere in that /etc/profile there's probably commands that
run other scripts with more configuration stuff).  But if you type alias |
less you should see ls listed in there somewhere.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org