Kernel (2.2.17) Trouble

Daniel Roethlisberger admin at roe.ch
Tue Jan 9 08:31:21 PST 2001

If you've only changed your kernel config once, you might still
got your old, working config in /usr/src/linux/.config.old
(I think), as make menuconfig backups the old config before
saving the new.

> I just recompiled my kernel... like an idiot (actually... i
> think most of us do this) I didn't keep careful track of what I
> changed), and now, when i boot the new kernel, it fails right
> after detecting the hard drives (after hdc, to be precise). It
> misidentifies my CD-ROM (well... it says it's a 40X instead of
> 44X.. but the working (old) kernel gets it right), then it says
> "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference at virtual
> address 00000010", and then it gives me a bunch of
> processor/register info. Any ideas what I did?

Cheers,
Dan

--
   Daniel Roethlisberger
   PGP Key ID 0x8DE543ED

Sex is like hacking. You get in, you get out, and you hope you
didn't leave something behind that can be traced back to you..

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org