perfect compile options

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 9 16:01:41 PST 2001

On January  9, 2001 12:06 pm, Jan Stifter wrote:
> does anybody know, what compile options are perfect for a pentium-pro
> running at 200 Mhz?
>
> i want to compile the things only for this system and want to speed
> the tools up as much as i can.
>
> the book mentions
>
> CFLAGS="-O3 -march=xxx"
> CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
>
> this seems not very optimized for me.
> many thanks

And it isn't no. Actually the next book release doens't include these
optimizations anymore. It often causes more grief than worth, and even with
optimization I never found any performance increase, so I stopped using it
(then again others may notice an increase, it highly depends on the used
hardware).

You'd have to read the gcc info page to find out about all the options you
can pass to GCC and what they mean. Based on those descriptions you decide
whether you want to use it or not.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org