Error Loading net-pf-9

Seth W. Klein sklein at mint.net
Wed Jan 10 12:32:28 PST 2001

Joseph McPherson wrote:

> I have installed the LFS base system and beat out all the errors and
> typo's save one.  That one has stumped me.  Can I get some help here.  I
> have checked everything I have typed in and there is no mention of the
> device "net-pf-9".  I am assuming it must be a device.  It cannot be
> found in the file system.  Also, it does generate a higher level error
> in the boot process.  The error is reported thus:
>
> Bringing up the loopback interface... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
> module net-pf-9.
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-9
>
> [ OK ]
>
> The boot process continues without any further reference.  My questions
> are 1) what is this about and 2) how can I get it to go away?

I got the same errors. They appear to be harmless. Reading the
ppp docs lead me to believe they're the result of running ppp
with kernel 2.2.x. The following in /etc/modules.conf will
prevent them:

# PPP
# change this when upgraded to linux 2.4
alias net-pf-10 off
alias char-major-108 off

cheers,
sklein