package management

jerry jdinardo at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 11 06:23:31 PST 2001

If you use a find command to track new files created by install , how do
you deal with the case of any new file created by process other than the
make install while make install is running?

You can change 1 sprintf line in installwatch to make your output compatible
with standard unix commands.

Installwatch programs take no detectable time to run while a find command can
take a fairly large amount of time on a system with lots of extra packages
installed.

Installwatch type programs can also be unreliable because they can not
track files created by programs that bypass dynamic  glibc open/creat.
ie. An assembler version of install which call int 80 directly.

Although I am using an Installwatch clone , I am still looking for  the
perfect solution (other than writing my  own make install for each package
as I assume the distros like redhat,debian must do).

jpd

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org