package management

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 11 07:00:06 PST 2001

> Although I am using an Installwatch clone , I am still looking for  the
> perfect solution (other than writing my  own make install for each package
> as I assume the distros like redhat,debian must do).

The perfect solution would be a watchdog right in VFS. It could protocol
all changes made and even create automatic back ups of changed files.
Using the PIDs of the changing processes it would be easy to distinguish
between changes made by a make install (all processes are direct or
indirect descendants of make) and changes by other processes.
Anybody know a kernel hacker who can do this ?  :-)

MSB

----
An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world.
A pessimist fears that this is true.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org