package management

scott thomason scott at industrial-linux.org
Thu Jan 11 15:53:29 PST 2001

I have written a custom perl script for a recursive ls-style output without the extraneous garbage, plus I employ the notion of a build directory and a prune directory (src/) under the build directory. I snap a before image, but only of things from the build directory on down, and excluding the prune directory and excluding things meeting these criteria (in perl):

  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/dev/core |;
  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/dev/fd/|;
  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/dev/stderr |;
  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/dev/stdin |;
  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/dev/stdout |;
  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/proc/\d+/|;
  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/proc/self/|;
  return 0 if $line =~ m|^/proc/| and not $opt_keepproc;

Then I snap an after image using the same technique, diff the two, and voila! I have a file list. It does take a good chunk of time to recursively walk the directories, but it gives me the benefit of being able to conduct normal operations on my system without needing to record syslog messages, /dev changes, mail, etc. in my list of installed files.
---scott

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org