chroot problem...

Filippo Erik Negroni filippo.negroni at btconnect.com
Fri Jan 12 01:01:04 PST 2001

As far as i can tell, Suse 6.3 (i have it) does not use glibc2.0 but uses
glibc 2.1 so NSS should not be the problem.
I tried LFS once with Mandrake 7.2 (newst release of november) and once
with suse 6.3
I think the problem with suse 6.3 may be due to the version of the packages
used.
In my case I could log into the chroot environment but could not compile
successfully (ld could not find _start symbols during linking the extecutable).
So, I suggest to Daniel to make sure he has *all* the updates from suse's
ftp site and particularly regarding binutils.
In Mandrake 7.2 problems are much different.

BTW, Gerard, Are you sure during the compilation of bash in the ./configure
parameters you have to put --with-ncurses ? isn't it --with-curses ? and
then set the link ln -s libncurses libcurses ?
In Suse this link is set up correctly in Mandrake it is not.
BTW, ed-0.2 and Patch-2.5.4 use mktemp() instead of mkstemp()
I have a patch for ed-0.2 (done myself) to make it use mkstemp but Patch
requires more work due to its architecture.
I will post the patch to the author as soon as i can, hopefully will have
an impact on ALFS too.

Just to let you know try "man 3 mktemp mkstemp"

Bye