LFS-FAQ

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 12:42:39 PST 2001

Misquoted from Gerard Beekmans on 2001/01/12 at 14:27 +0000:
> > I mean things like "Q: I get error x when compiling. A: Make sure you have
> > the gcc symlinks" or "Q: Program x gives me a segmentation fault. A:
> > Recompile it with a lower optimization" or "Q: Modprobe says it can't find
> > net-pf-9. A: Add this line to /etc/modules", etc.
>
> The reason LFS never had a FAQ is that items in a possible FAQ are always
> fixed in the next book release, so FAQ's usually are short lived. I'm not
> sure if we should add a FAQ containing "if modprobe says it can't find
> net-pf-9". There are other places for that. It just means the person enabled
> auto module loading in the kernel but did not read the documentation that
> comes with it to set it up. Should we start taking care of people not reading
> their other docs?

We do at the moment. We could try:

Q: Modprobe says it can't find net-pf-9.
A: Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt

But if they did not read modules.txt, how do we get them to read the FAQ before
posting - simple -put a note in the book:

The FAQ is only half the size of one day's supply of lfs-discuss ;-)

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org