make it nicer

Jan Stifter j.stifter at medres.ch
Fri Jan 12 15:28:10 PST 2001

hello.

3 questions to make my systems nicer:

1) my manpages look a little ugly. if there should be a dash "-" at
the end, i see a <AD> at the end, e.g.

NAME
       syslog.conf - syslogd(8) configuration file

DESCRIPTION
       The  syslog.conf  file  is the main configuration file for
       the syslogd(8) which logs system messages on *nix systems.
       This  file  specifies rules for logging.  For special fea<AD>
                                                                ^^^^
       tures
[snip]

how can i fix this?

2) i have defined my syslog.conf as following:

*.*  -/var/log/messages

(i like one big file, i am lazy)
my /var/log/messages looks like:

Jan 13 02:23:54 (none) sshd[149]: Accepted password for ROOT from
192.168.0.200 port 1298

how can i avoid the ugly (none) ? IMO there should be the system name.
maybe, this string was compiled in to the syslogd during compile time?

3) in /var/log/messages, if i quit an ssh session, i get:
Jan 13 02:28:02 (none) sshd[200]: syslogin_perform_logout: logout()
returned an error

anyone knows, what to configure to get rid of this message? is that a
message of sshd, of syslogd, of login, or of ???

many thanks for all answers
jan
---
Jan Stifter
http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/

p.s. where do i get a nice ftp prog as source? one that makes file
completion, reget, ...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org