Why logout of chroot, copy dynamic bash over static bash, then chroot again?

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 13 04:54:24 PST 2001

Misquoted from Filippo Erik Negroni on 2001/01/12 at 21:30 +0000:

> At 21:07 12/01/2001, you wrote:
> >Misquoted from asunnymoo on 2001/01/12 at 12:52 +0000:
> > > After entering the chroot'ed environment and compiling dynamic bash,
> > the book
> > > says to logout, copy the dynamic bash over static bash, then re-enter the
> > > chroot'ed environment.  Couldn't you just copy bash and bashbug from
> > /usr/bin
> > > to /bin from within chroot?
> > >
> >If you did not log out, static bash would be held open for read by your
> >chroot login, so you would not be able to modify it.
> >
> >Richard
>

> No it's not correct

I got an error message every time I tried to mv bash. I am not the
only one how did. The only way I found to avoid the problem was to
exit chroot. There must be some other way, because some people did
not have any problem. If you know what it is, please tell, and I
will try it.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org