$LFS Questions

Matthias Minich matthias at planet-minich.de
Sat Jan 13 17:44:20 PST 2001

hi aallen,

maybe my explantation is not enough, but i'll give it a try... did you ever
wonder (argue??? german= ärgern ;) about some configuration-tools of todays
distros? for example i started with SuSE-Linux and for the beginning nothing
was wrong with that: easy to install, easy to configure and so on. but as i
started to implement my own ideas and wishes (maybe not needed by everyone),
those great configuration-tools always overwrote my configuration-files. so
if you made changes in any script (like ethernet or so) and you didn't make
the _same_ changes in your setup-tool, all your handmade changes were
overwritten...

what we are doing here, is linux - as pure as possible... here you don't
rely to any setup-tools or stuff like that. just configure your whole system
as described in the single packages. also you can really change _everything_
you like and not only those options given in any config-tool.

i guess 90% of the list can give you tons of reasons, but that was it in my
case... but i don't know, if it would be best to start "from scratch" with
linux. maybe a distro like redhat or debian or whatever is better for
learning the basics in this OS... but it's worth a try and LFS is (for me) a
perfect system.

hope this helped...
matthias minich