Redhat

Jeffery McLean jeffery at meowpawjects.com
Sun Jan 14 09:08:38 PST 2001

On Sunday 14 January 2001 04:50 am, jerry wrote:
> I really do not understand all of the Redhat bashing. If it was not for
> redhat , we would probably still be using libc5 (glibc ver 1.x). At work
> I have servers that have been running redhat for years without a single
> problem. These machines are typically rebooted once a year for upgrades.

RedHat dose contrubite quite a bit however... They also takith away...

Two examples...
Glibc and getting commertal software for Linux...
Horray for RedHat...
"We can only be sure it runs on RedHat.."
Boooo
Instead of saying "It needs Glibc" they say "It needs RedHat"...
This just adds more FUD and makes it HARDER to get software
companys to make software for Linux...
Before RedHats FUD the solution was simple... just say
"Needs glibc" Why is that so hard?
You don't need to make a version for each distro.. just make one
for glibc and say "Need glibc"... of course if RedHat never made glibc
to start with there wouldn't be an issue...

Giving credit where credits due.. Thanks RedHat for making glibc...
On the other hand.. thanks a freakin lot for using that to scare away
software develupers.. or push them into make RedHat only binarys...

Also RedHat shipped with glibc while it was still unstable...
That was bad...

Now RedHat 7.0 ships with a gcc SNAPSHOT...

It dose make it hard to convence people that Linux is reliable
when RedHat ships using Beta, Alpha and Snapshot software...
They use that and say "This is Linux?"
The solution however is one that has allways been around..
disabuse people of the notion that RedHat is Linux...

This really isn't a RedHat issue anyway...
People just expect that RedHat and Slackware are identical
just grab a Linux distro and go.. if it dosn't work then Linux suxs...

When a Del PC dosn't work it's Dels fault... when a Compaq crashes
it's Compaqs fault but when RedHat crashes it's Linux fault...

Just get people to quit blamming Linux for defects in RedHat
and realise that not every distrobution is the same...

I however reserve the right to bash RedHat, Debian, Slackware,
Mandrake or any other Linux distrobution thats out there...

Yes some people have no problems with RedHat...
Some people have no problems with Windows...
and I have no problems using Dos as a web server...

But Windows has problems, RedHat has defects...
and you try running Dos as a web server... If you can then I'd like to chat
becouse I'd like to be able to talk about Dos networking issues...
Ya know...
--
My Brainbench Certificates [My tech skills]
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=2056366

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org