Redhat

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Sun Jan 14 14:53:28 PST 2001

From: lfs-discuss-owner at linuxfromscratch.org

Point granted. I should have used different phrasing and drawn a different
analogy for the point I was trying to make.

While you allude to the alpha, beta, stable process in the rest of you post
I do not think you will find the word "beta" anywhere on the 7.0 package.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

As you also allude to Joe End-user picking up the 7.0 retail box off the
shelf most likely is unaware of all this. As we have seen here on the list
folks come to LFS with a 7.0 install and go through an enlightenment
process where they discover that they got screw by RedHat for the twenty
some dollars (or whatever they paid for the package which did not carry a
warning that it was beta-wear and did not play nice with the rest of the
Linux World).

 >My only guess towards it is that installation requires constant monitoring
 >and it's entirely too easy to f*** it up (for every perfect installation
 >I've had of LFS, I've easily had 20 that didn't make it)

I was doing better then 1 in 20 and I feel you may be exagerating a little
though that is moot to the point I am going to make. I found that the
blotched installs were a result of typos or forgotten instructions. To this
end I created a series of shell scripts that automate the process a great
deal. Then when I want to build a new system with an updated  package, for
example, the kernel. I make changes to the script that handles that. By
letting the scripts do all the repititve work I need not worry about
inadverently introducing new errors via typo etc.

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org