How to strip?

Jeffrey B. Ferland autocracy at linuxfreemail.com
Mon Jan 15 08:05:22 PST 2001

Miroslav Hrachovec wrote:
> I tried to strip out debug info from libraries and got problem :(
> After `cd /lib; strip *; cd  /usr/lib strip *` it is impossible
> to compile any program.
>
> `gcc test.c` gives me this warning
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 08048290
>
> and after running `./a.out` i have got
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>
> How to correct produce libraries w/o debug info?

Yeah, ok - no. You forgot the --strip-debug switch. You've now stipped all of
your libraries of not only debugging symbols, but also anything and everything
you need, including the _start symbol.

Alternatively to stripping your files after compiling, you may find it easier to
execute configure scripts with --disable-debug. I figure you might want to try
that now since you're going to have to start all over. Redoing just gcc and
glibc won't cut it - most other programs have some of their own libraries...

Oh yeah, enjoy :)

-Jeff
SIG: HUP

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org