improving device file creation - (MAKEDEV-2.5)

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Mon Jan 15 22:47:46 PST 2001

On Monday 15 January 2001 21:07, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > There was some mention that /dev/[hs]d[a-d]* needed some work... Does
> > kernel recognize /dev/hda20 ? Or, does it only recognize through
> > /dev/hda16 ?
> >
> > Let me know any recommendations regarding improvements to be made for
> > its use in LFS, and I'll be glad to fix it up proper! :o)
>
> Seems to be up to 16 partitions only

16 for IDE (hd<whatever>)... Thought so, there is a script,
linux/scripts/MAKEDEV.ide . It only does 1-16, not 1-20. I don't know
SCSI... 16 also applies to the /dev/sd<whatever> nodes?

> About the script itself,it may be useful, it may not be. Perhaps it's a
> good idea to use devfs in the lfs-book, but perhaps not (since it does
> force a user to use a certain kernel configuration and not all software
> works well with devfs yet)

I hear what you are saying. I've read some of the devfs documentation and
would like to try it out. I'll get around to it, but even with this
new-fangled devfs stuff I figure a fast and easy way to make the
*_old-fashioned_* ;) device files is a good tool to keep around.

All the people who work on the kernel ?perhaps? realize the value of
keeping the old way around too... I say this because all of the docs
related to device files are still in the kernel sources. Of course, maybe
when devfs is no longer an experimental config option this will change...

And like you say, Gerard, "not all software works well with devfs yet".
Anyway, let me know if you wanna have someone to keep an eye on MAKEDEV .
I like all of this device file stuff! I find it all very interesting!!! :D
--
Regards,
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org