leaving Linux

Richard Bennett rocket.fish at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 16 10:37:56 PST 2001

I think it is due to people such as mr Hua that linux isnt doing as well on
the home computers as perhaps it should. The operation of linux requires one
more feature than any microsoft product ever would - a brain(tm).
What you have to remember is, about half of the worlds population (3rd world
populations excluded) cannot even send an email - the task is too complex for
them to even consider. Dont ask me why... we all know it's just a little bit
of ASCII text perhaps containing perhaps a few MIME encoded files for good
measure, send via an ISP to our SMTP hosts whereupon they are routed to the
appropriate POP3/IMAP mailboxes where they can simply be picked up by
connecting again through the isp... etc.
*now* i ask. with all those little shortenings which *we* all understand (if
you dont - read L-NAG, that book is really cool) a very large number of
people dont.
By and large, there is a very small percentage of the population that really
know enough to build an LFS even with the instructions given... i had one
chap (no names given here) who despite the fact he had the book in front of
him continued to ask me repeatedly about which package to install first...
which versions he should get and "what do i do to compile again?"
For christs sake... extreme example of RTFM!!!!!
back to my original point though... with us, the chosen few, things such as
linux may seem pretty logical, but to the greater percentage of the
population computers are the most illogical things ever created - hence in
comes microsoft with a piece of software to match. Completely illogical
(example i saw made somewhere before... who the hell would think of clicking
on a button labelled "start" if you want to turn the machine *off*???)
Therefore you can see why such problems arise when people who have been using
such a piece of software switch to Linux.
and personally mr Hua, i think it's utter rubbish that you've had three years
"experience" with linux. sounds to me to be more like three weeks...

There are two types of people.
The first takes one look at Linux and says "Hey thats cool..." and looks some
more.
The second (i've seen this first hand) will take one look at linux, and
criticise its immediate lack of a GUI. (a certain friend of mine refuses to
use a piece of software if it doesnt have mouse support.)

</RANT>

 -- MC