I have finally read the to do list

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 16 12:33:03 PST 2001

> Can you tell me exactly what kind of dependency list do you want. I

OK example (what follows is made up, that's just what I want figured out some
day):

to install fileutils you need: cmp diff sdiff sed
to install perl you need: cp cmp diff sed awk ls mv rmdir rm

and so forth:

this above normally would be shorted to:

to install fileutils you need: diffutils, sed
to install perl you need: fileutils, diffutils, sed, mawk

I'd like to have the first form of dependencies (from that the latter can be
concluded easily).

A list of what is installed by which package I already have. To get this kind
of dependency list you basically do something like this:

enter chroot and install a package when nothing else (other than the chroot
and bash binaries) is available. Then start by running 'configure'. it will
need all kinds of things like sh, sed, cp, rm, gcc etc. Satisfy dependencies
for that package by installing those files, and then move on to the next
packge, remove all packages just installed and start over again (run
configure, satisfy dependencies, install, remove, next package, run
configure....)

There are probably better ways of obtaining such a list,I'm ready for
suggestions

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org