How to strip?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 16 12:53:33 PST 2001

> If I use `strip --strip-debug filename` instead of `strip filename`
> will everything be OK?
> Or is it better to forget striping libs?

I usually recommend against using strip on any library. --strip-debug on
libraries usually is ok and won't cause any harm, but I have heard of cases
where there were problems (or the person made a simple typo). It's just
dangerous to work on libraries like that. There's a good chance you will end
up with corrupt libraries and you'll end up having to reinstall every library
(glibc, libncurses, other libraries installed by software like bzip2,
e2fsprogs, shadow suite, etc)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org