I have finally read the to do list

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Tue Jan 16 14:18:44 PST 2001

> to install fileutils you need: diffutils, sed
> to install perl you need: fileutils, diffutils, sed, mawk
>
> I'd like to have the first form of dependencies (from that the latter can be
> concluded easily).
>
> A list of what is installed by which package I already have. To get this kind
> of dependency list you basically do something like this:
>
> enter chroot and install a package when nothing else (other than the chroot
> and bash binaries) is available. Then start by running 'configure'. it will
> need all kinds of things like sh, sed, cp, rm, gcc etc. Satisfy dependencies
> for that package by installing those files, and then move on to the next
> packge, remove all packages just installed and start over again (run
> configure, satisfy dependencies, install, remove, next package, run
> configure....)
>
> There are probably better ways of obtaining such a list,I'm ready for
> suggestions

Hmm. Isn't checking the access time for programs in /bin and /usr/bin
before and after the installation enough?

If it isn't you can at least speed up the whole process you describe. You
simply do installation as a normal user (make /bin,/usr/bin,... world-
writeable first) but first you remove read and execute permissions from
all files on the system. Then you write scripts (or have them created
automatically) like activate_gcc that use a list of the files that the gcc
package installs (you say you have that) to set read permissions again.

MSB

----
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org