man-pages installation change

Andy Goth andy at chainsaw.grimnok.com
Tue Jan 16 21:32:24 PST 2001

On Tuesday, January 16, 2001 19:37, Simon Perreault wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 January 2001 20:32, Craig M. Reece wrote:
> > IIRC, I advocated using the make file that was already there with
> > the man-pages tarball, but running it before installing the other
> > packages. It will do the right thing with modes, etc. and then the
> > files will get overwritten later by a specific package when its man
> > installation runs.
>
> This is one good solution, another one (I guess) would be to simply
> chown -R 0.0 the entire tarball once it's extracted.

While you're busy fixing the ownership of the man pages, you might consider uniformly compressing them and setting up some kind of decompressed man page cache like I've seen in some other distributions.  Was it "catman" or something like that?
--
Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  uin: 35256413  |  aim: Un111

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org