Stuck on step number one

Carol Spears cspears at cablespeed.com
Wed Jan 17 13:24:36 PST 2001

I have learned so much in the 23 hours that I have been a member of this
list.

My friend spent 3 hours on the phone with Micro$oft "Support" last
night, 2 hours were devoted to telling them that they bought support and
needed it.  You guys seriously put them to shame.

Last night, Mr. Goth shared some images with me and this morning I awoke
to a "wish come true".

I have eMailed my mother to sent a spare hard disk to me, my brother
wants to put that in the cdrom slot and go from there.

In the meantime, I feel more bold than my brother.  I am in the process
of backing up my personal files and getting rid of the programs I don't
need. I have 585000 blocks available, I need to find more and then I am
following Mr. Fracassi's nicely formated Tip.

Here's a df:

/dev/hda2              2359197   1651565    585664  74% /

Here's a fdisk -l:

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1        17     68512+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2   *        18       622   2439360   83  Linux

I didn't want to think about partitions when I did this.  Truthfully, I
don't really want to think about partitions now, however, I now know
what I want this box to do so this is a good time to deal with it.

It was up to 96% used yesterday at this time.  I do graphics so I have
some huge files here and there.  I have some housekeeping ahead of me.
I am going to grab a "distribution on a floppy" before I get started, so
that I don't have to install the turbo dist again, incase of trouble. I
am going to save a copy of my XF86config. video timings were an unhappy
time of my life.

So my question now, is there a better plan?  Is there something else to
back up or get a copy of.  I would really like to keep my internet
connection while I do this.