BASH will not make

Joseph McPherson josephmcpherson at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 17 14:37:13 PST 2001

I originally installed LFS over Christmas.  The installation took time
but there were no major errors.  BASH was compiled under Linux kernel
2.2.17, XFree86 3.3.5 and Glibc 2.1.1.  BASH configured, made and
installed with no problems.

After this experience with LFS I felt confident.  Next I tried to
install Tcl/Tk 8.0.5 as I had used it in OS/2.  This is when the
problems started and the long and short of it was that Tk refused to
install and I lost interest in determining why.  As a by product XFree86
4.0.2 would not install.  I, then reformatted the disk and started to
reinstall LFS.  BASH would not install.  I tried both version 2.03 and
version 2.04.  I used ./configure with and without the book options.
When make is executed the following error is generated.

rm -f shell.o
gcc  -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"i686"'
-DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='"i686-pc-linux-gnu"'
-DCONF_VENDOR='"pc"' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib -I/usr/local/include -g -O2 -c shell.c
In file included from shell.h:26,
                 from shell.c:45:
general.h:190: parse error before `string_to_rlimtype'
general.h:190: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
general.h:191: parse error before `int'
make: *** [shell.o] Error 1

I have a i686 pc running the Linux kernel 2.4.0.  I am using the GNU C
Library stable version 2.1.1,  This error is consistent and seems to
come from the failure to define RLIMTYPE.  I have tried defining
RLIMTYPE as an "int" but this just creates errors of a different sort
and does not create an executable program.  It was to easy a fix anyway.

My request is could someone out there with a i686, Linux 2.4.0 and Glibc
2.1.x make BASH and report if they get the same results.  I have
reported this to GNU.  But no response.  I have read everything I can
find on static builds of BASH nothing seems relevant.

Joe

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org