Open and closed source...

Barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Wed Jan 17 15:14:19 PST 2001

> Richard Bennett wrote:
>
> Surely if someone creating a closed source product wanted to use a
> reasonable amount of open source code there would be no real risk in
> it for them. If they dont give out the source with their product, then
> noone knows the code, and cant tell if it has been ripped off some
> OpenSource project being developed elsewhere... for all we know
> microsoft could have used linux code in the implementation of some of
> their software... <sarc>(unlikely considering how stable good ol
> windows is)</sarc>
>

>  -- Richard Bennett

quite true...

however, should such a situation arise, and said companies wants to be
bastardly about it...

something COULD be done if it were found and that code were GPL'ed...
BSD'ed, you've got nothing to stand on and even invited the act.

Like I said... Don't get me wrong.  It's not a knock on people who
support BSD or BSD style licenses.  Not at all.  I just think that those
licensing schemes will come back to bite us later on.  Generosity is one
thing.  Giving up everything to the corner bully without a fight is a
little bit different.

IMHO ... :)

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org