Open and closed source...

Jon Eisenstein jon at dominia.dyn.dhs.org
Wed Jan 17 18:51:12 PST 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Craig M. Reece wrote:

> part of the output from strings /mnt/c/windows/ftp.exe:
>
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
>  All rights reserved.
>
> Proof that Microsoft uses/used BSD code in windows. This was from my Windows
> 98 installation.

So? What's your point? That's the whole idea of the BSD license. Anybody
is allowed to use it, as long as they acknowledge the originator. I don't
care if it's Microsoft using it, or someone else. In fact, I'm glad
Microsoft is using it. That means they have _something_ that's somewhat
stable in their installation.

Personally, I favor the GPL over BSD, but understand the reasoning behind
the latter. If Microsoft wants to use BSD, let 'em. That's the whole
point. To distribute high-quality software for anyone to use.