Making partition decisions.

Andy Goth andy at grimnok.com
Wed Jan 17 22:49:40 PST 2001

On Thursday, January 18, 2001 01:08, Carol Spears wrote:
> I am musing on my partitions. I have some questions.
>
> I want to use my computer to host a website where my visitors might
> be able to use my gimp on their graphics.  This is all that this
> computer will be used for.  So, I have come up with this 3 +swap
> partitioning scheme:

Only one hard disk?

> ============================
>  os, binaries & libraries
> ----------------------------
>      administration
> ----------------------------
>           swap
> ----------------------------
>      external users
> ============================
>
> administration would probably be /usr/local and os would be / and
> /usr. I am not sure which name for the third partition.

Are you familiar with /etc/fstab?

> The way I understand it, for security, I will need to have a gimp
> (1.0.4 for this app) completely located in external users, as well as
> an ftp.

Why not 1.2?  It's out.  Yay.

And these people who use GIMP... will they be doing X over the Internet or something?  Or will they just come over to your house?  :^)

Do what I do.  Make a "rusers" and a "lusers" group.  Put people with physical access to the computer in rusers.  Give them access to the sound card, the floppy drive, the printer, and so on.  Put people who use your computer across the Internet in lusers.  Let them run programs but not diddle with hardware.

> Any commands that I want to be available externally should be
> build on the external users partition.  What about perl5 and java?
> They are hogs. Do they need to be built there also?

Can't they just see the stuff in /usr, /usr/local, /opt, and so on and so forth?  Or will they live in a chroot?

> Perhaps my plan is wrong from the get go.

Don't be so down on yourself.

?

> I plan to operate the apache, and run star office from local.  I want
> to host websites for photographers and I would like to be hosting
> only about 5 sites in the next three years. (I have a handful of
> equine photographers with AOL!)

Hey, I know Lynn Radeka.  Cool photos, eh?  In fact, the Canon BJC-610 printer I have right here is indirectly a gift from him.

> If you need to keep me out of your mail box, feel free to suggest
> things to search on in the archives.

I don't recall this coming up.

Perhaps it would be best if you found your way into some sort of chat, like IRC, ICQ, AIM, or OpenVerse, because I have a feeling that this issue could take some discussion.

Speaking of discussion... this thread should be moved from lfs-discuss to lfs-apps.
--
Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  uin: 35256413  |  aim: Un111

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org