Making partition decisions.

Andy Goth andy at grimnok.com
Wed Jan 17 23:32:44 PST 2001

On Thursday, January 18, 2001 01:48, Carol Spears wrote:
> Andy Goth wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 18, 2001 01:08, Carol Spears wrote:
> > > I am musing on my partitions. I have some questions.
> > >
> > > I want to use my computer to host a website where my visitors
> > > might be able to use my gimp on their graphics.  This is all that
> > > this computer will be used for.  So, I have come up with this 3
> > > +swap partitioning scheme:
> >
> > Only one hard disk?
>
> Yes, I am getting that second one, but I want to be able to use the
> cdrom once the new operating system is working.  Later, I might need
> it for all the web activity (LOL), but that is a long way away.

How many IDE buses do you have?  Most computers do the EIDE thing and have two buses so that up to four IDE devices can be installed simultaneously.  Right now I'm stuffed. :^)

Or maybe you just have a small case.  Is that the case^H^H^H^Hproblem?

> > Are you familiar with /etc/fstab?
>
> No, but I will look at it:
>
> /dev/hda1           swap                swap    defaults       0 0
> /dev/hda2           /                   ext2    defaults       1 1
> /dev/fd0            /mnt/floppy         ext2    noauto         0 0
> /dev/cdrom          /mnt/cdrom          iso9660 noauto,ro,user 0 0
> proc                /proc               proc    defaults       0 0
> #virgil:/home/carol /home/carol/virgil  nfs	defaults       0 0
> #virgil:/home/jef   /home/jef/virgil	nfs	defaults       0 0
>
> Hmm.  There's the floppy on /dev/fd0.  Can you tell that we have a
> hub? It is down right now.  I need a new ethernet card.

I can tell both that you have a hub (or switch) and that it's down.  Hehehe.  The # denotes a comment so that the line is ignored.

Well, if you want to break up things some, you can specify:

/dev/hda1 swap ...
/dev/hda2 / ...
/dev/hda5 /usr ...
/dev/hda6 /usr/local ...
/dev/hda7 /home ...

If'n you want, that is.  There's not too much point to having many partitions.  It helps out when a partition bites it because you get to keep some of your data.  Having multiple partitions is a pain unless you're cur^H^H^Hblessed with PartitionMagic or a workalike.

> > > The way I understand it, for security, I will need to have a gimp
> > > (1.0.4 for this app) completely located in external users, as
> > > well as an ftp.
> >
> > Why not 1.2?  It's out.  Yay.
>
> I am using 1.1.29, and it was fine.  1.0.4 is the best for the net-fu
> package. (see http://cooltext.com).  I want them to apply my frames
> to their photos.  It will probably be image magick for collecting and
> displaying photographers proofs online, however.  1.0.4 is small
> compared to my great new gimp, and possesses all of the skills a web
> visitor can handle and more.  There is a fire animation website out
> there somewhere running the gimp.

Any problems with 1.2?

Hey, check out some of my art on ftp://un.dynodns.net/.  Look for the colorized gnu.  He's... cool.

> > And these people who use GIMP... will they be doing X over the
> > Internet or something?  Or will they just come over to your house?
> > :^)
>
> These people are probably mostly horse people with small children and
> they can't come to my house!  Net-fu. Yee ha!

Ah.  I've never set that up...

> > Do what I do.  Make a "rusers" and a "lusers" group.  Put people
> > with physical access to the computer in rusers.  Give them access
> > to the sound card, the floppy drive, the printer, and so on.  Put
> > people who use your computer across the Internet in lusers.  Let
> > them run programs but not diddle with hardware.

Alright, then, make a netfu group and give it access only to what it needs to do the net-fu stuff.

> > > Any commands that I want to be available externally should be
> > > build on the external users partition.  What about perl5 and
> > > java? They are hogs. Do they need to be built there also?
> >
> > Can't they just see the stuff in /usr, /usr/local, /opt, and so on
> > and so forth?  Or will they live in a chroot?
>
> chroot.  That's what my brother said.  He likes the ftp sites with
> the binaries.  I have to watch the advice from my brother.  He's one
> of those command line guys with his nose up very far about GUI.

I like a mix of both.  I use X most of the time, but in X I have consoles open.  Hehehe.  And then for a change I switch to virtual terminals and sometimes even type 'init 3' to kill X totally.

> > Perhaps it would be best if you found your way into some sort of
> > chat, like IRC, ICQ, AIM, or OpenVerse, because I have a feeling
> > that this issue could take some discussion.
>
> I have never done this before.  I don't even know if I can.

Never used an Internet chat?

> > Speaking of discussion... this thread should be moved from
> > lfs-discuss to lfs-apps.
>
> I need to subscribe?

Go ahead.  Check out the linuxfromscratch.org site to see what all lists are available.  This particular one is supposed to be for issues dealing specifically with the book, rather than general usage of LFS-based systems.
--
Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  uin: 35256413  |  aim: Un111
?

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org