I have finally read the to do list

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 18 05:53:57 PST 2001

On January 18, 2001 08:31 am, Björn Lindberg wrote:
> But you could always parse the output from 'make -n install'. That
> would unroll the loops and dereference variables and so forth.

Not always, sometimes the loops stay in place. Let me give an example:

for p in cmp diff diff3 sdiff; do \
  /bin/install -c $p /usr/local/bin/`echo $p | sed 's,x,x,'`; \
done
{ test -f diff.info || cd .; } && \
for f in diff.info*; do \
  /bin/install -c -m 644 $f /usr/local/info/$f; \
done

that's what you see during make install (on diffutils). It's the shell who
expands that, not make install's (or make -n install for that matter).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org