How to organize sources

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 18 05:56:17 PST 2001

On January 18, 2001 08:43 am, Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:
> Yo,
>
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 02:28:30PM +0100, Björn Lindberg wrote:
> > One thing I'm curious about, is how do you structure your sources?
> > the book doesn't say anything about this. What I'm referring to is
> > the fact that just downloading the base tarballs gives you nearly 60
> > packages, and it seems kind of messy to keep them all in /usr/src.
> > I was thinking about making subdirs to /usr/src either with 'themes'
> > eg. "/dev" (development), "/file"; or maybe just using subdirs like
> > /a, /b, /c, etc.
>
> I usually either just leave them all under /usr/src or for bigger ones
> (like KDE) i'll use a subdir... allthough i've started using something
> like /usr/src/{a-z, 0-9} as Gerard likes to use, very nice actually.

Let me elaborate a bit. Well i guess i don't have to, it's pretty much
self-explanatory.

I have a /usr/src/sourceds directory with subdirs called 0-9 and a through z

a package like diffutils goes into sources/d/
gcc in to sources/g/
linux sources/l
and so forth.

Having catagories can be real helpful at first. During the first few months I
did it this way I constantly had problems like "darn I forgot the name of the
irc daemon's package. If i just had an irc catagory with a symlink to the
sources/somewhere/somename.tar.bz2 file I could find it much easier".

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org