List managibility (was: Advertising for LFS)

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 07:07:43 PST 2001

Misquoted from Gerard Beekmans on 2001/01/17 at 15:02 +0000:
> On January 16, 2001 04:32 pm, Chris Snyder wrote:
> > If we're going to be getting any more traffic to the LFS lists, we might
> > want them broken up into smaller lists.  A few that come to mind are
> > troubleshooting, suggestions, and promotion.
>
> We had a few different lists in the past: lfs-dicuss, lfs-apps, lfs-config
> and linux but nobody really knew what to post somewhere so we changed back to
> lfs-discuss and lfs-apps
>
> lfs-discuss should be the list to discuss LFS matters and no other matters
> really
> lfs-apps is for everything else (the name should be changed perhaps, it
> doesn't really reflect anymore what it is used for nowadays).

This might reduce the impact of threads going off topic. What do
you think?

lfs-chatter
lfs-specific_1
lfs-specific_2
lfs-specific_3
A message posted to lfs-specific_* also shows on lfs-chatter,
but with the reply address set to lfs-chatter.

People who like chatter:
Subscribe only to that list.
If they have a reply that is relevant and a brain, they can send a
reply to a specific list.
If they have a reply that is relevant, but are having difficulty
with the brain, someone thoughtful will quote the message in a
reply to the specific list.

People who like a little chatter:
Subscribe to the all lists, but filter lfs-chatter

People who hate chatter:
Subscribe only to the specific list

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org