how about formatguard in lfs-2.4.X ?

Jan Stifter j.stifter at medres.ch
Fri Jan 19 02:06:14 PST 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:56:37 +0100, Stefan Hoffmeister
<linuxfromscratch.mailinglist at Econos.de> wrote:

>: On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:37:06 +0100, Jan Stifter wrote:
>
>>formatguard is a patch against glibc-2.2.
>>it is a big security enhancement (disables the popular format bug
>>attacks). because all programs need recompiling,
>
>This is a major drawback of formatguard; a library by the name of - IIRC -
>
>  libsafeformat
>
>written by someone at AT&T will do the same without recompiling all
>applications.

seems interesting. how can this be done, if e.g. /sbin/lilo is already
compiled against glibc ? how can i tell to a compiled /sbin/lilo, that
it should use now for printf() calls another lib?

bye the way: since we do "linux from scratch", i think patching the
glibc from the beginning would not be so hard, and from then on,
everything would be save.
jan

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org