Other platforms

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Mon Jan 22 18:53:16 PST 2001

Yo,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:18:42PM -0600, Oren J Byer wrote:
> Does anyone have any expirence installing an LFS system on Alpha or Sparc
> platforms?

I know Ian Chilton (ian at ichilton.co.uk) has experience building LFS on
the Sparc, he's actually looking at aquiring and older Alpha to get
Linux/LFS running... he's gotten LFS running on everything almost, MIPS,
m68k, sparc, x86, etcetc ;)

I (was) looking at buying a new SMP Alpha or Sun UltraSparc10/60 but
thinks got out of hands and i doubt i'll be able too.. i really do want
to get into the non-x86 sense thou, i'm the financing is there ;) (maybe
i'll start checking out ebay, Ian showed me some interesthings hardware
on sale the other day), anyways...

It can be done, Sparc seems pretty straighforward apart from not needing
bin86 and lilo (well, pick your boot loader), Alpha should be similar,
bough platformas are fairly well supported under Linux (from what i've
seen and heard)

Best of luck, there is also and official LFS-PPC Port that is being
updated for the next release, IIRC (2.4.4 which is tomorrow btw for
those that don't hang out on IRC ;)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org