inittab

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 23 09:25:45 PST 2001

On January 23, 2001 04:45 am, Jan Stifter wrote:
> can anybody explain me the following lines from inittab?
>
> f1:0:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
> f2:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
> su:S1:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
>
> why does runlevel 0, 6 and S need a /sbin/sulogin ?

you change to runlevel 0 or 6 and at the end the rc script is supposed to run
/etc/rc0.d/S99halt or /etc/rc6.d/S99reboot

But scripts can have bugs, symlinks may be wrong/missing so those scripts
aren't run and the system will just 'sit' there. That's when the fallthrough
lines are read (when rc's done in level 0 or 6 a reboot/halt should take
place but in case that doens't happen init just goes on with inittab and
executes all that's remaining) which is sulogin. This way you can get a root
shell and issue the halt or reboot command manually.

The reason why levels S and 1 have sulogin is that those levels don't spawn
agetty (they're not supposed to, it's not multi-user but single-user). It are
single user modes, single being root only. So we get the user a root shell
through sulogin

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org