A very old machine

Jan Stifter j.stifter at medres.ch
Wed Jan 24 01:41:02 PST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:09:32 +0000, Zero Piraeus
<bola at holethief.org.uk> wrote:

>Hey:
>
>I just bought a rather ancient 486SX/25 that doesn't seem able to handle
>either CDROMs or modern HDs [no mention of CDROMs in the BIOS, and
>HD-autodetect fails to recognize a 2GB HD]. It's got a 163MB HD and 8MB
>of RAM, and that appears to be all it'll ever put up with.
>
>So, does anyone here know of a distro that makes a good starting point
>for installing LFS, is fairly painless to install from floppies, and
>will cope with such a limited system??

hi Zero,
i would very much suggest, you install an old isa ethernet card and
boot the system with a util linux-bootdisk such as tomsrbt
http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html
you can then install a network and get the compiled lfs from another
machine. i had success doing so.
good luck. i like to setup linux on old machines!
jan
---
"Why should I read the fucking manual? I know how to f***!"
(unknown Linux-user)

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org