Glibc and gcc chap5

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Jan 26 12:24:16 PST 2001

Yo,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:05:25PM -0000, sean wagoner wrote:
> Can someone please explain the Installing Glibc page in Chap5 for me.
> It says to make a gcc-build dir. But I already have one that gcc created a
> couple of pages back?

Please reread Chapter 2. Important Information;
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/intel-2.4.4/ch02-install.html on
the second last paragraph.

"After you have installed a package you can do two things with it. You
can either delete the directory that contains the sources or you can
keep it. If you decide to keep it, that's fine by me. But if you need
the same package again in a later chapter you need to delete the
directory
first before using it again. If you don't do this, you might end up in
trouble because old settings will be used (settings that apply to your
normal
Linux system but which don't always apply to your LFS system). Doing a
simple make clean or make distclean does not always guarantee a
totally clean source tree. The configure script can also have files
lying around in various subdirectories which aren't always removed by a
make clean process."

> Also all of the patches file links in the 2.4.4 doc are broken.  I think
> they're just missing their bz2 extension.

That's Gerard, Netscape has a thing with gunzip'ing files and corrupting
them, so he did a quick fix and changed them to a bz2 instead (not
thinking ahead for all those users that just click and save the URLs
from the book ;)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org